Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Superman Debate

Today marks my first posting in response to another posting, in this case The Lars lastest episode. For those of you who don't listen to podcasts, I'm not going to try to convince you. For those who do, check out the Dharmalars on iTunes for movie reviews, discussion on the TV show Lost and (infuriating) debates on pop culture icons.

Most that know me personally know that my favorite fictional character is Superman. People have seen my wallet marked with the S-shield as well as a dog tag hanging on my computer supporting the Christopher Reeve foundation. This post allows me to both answer the question "why do I like Superman" and defend Ben of the Lars' stance on the "awesomness of Superman."

I don't like Superman for his powers or his status. He's not as cool of a character as Batman or Spawn or members of the X-Men. He's my favorite because of what he stands for. Ralph, the Lars counterpart to Ben, made the argument that Superman is irrelevant because he cannot relate to him. In his stories, Superman saves lives without taking credit because he cannot let the world know who he really is, Clark Kent, without endangering everyone he cares about. Superman restrains power enough to vaporize someone with a glance with his oath to never take a life. He has enough power to take the world and reshape it, but knows it's not his place. Absolute power never corrupts him. With greater power comes greater responsibility. You're right, Ralph, no one can relate to him-- that's why he's the best.

2 comments:

Ralph- said...

it's funny, because my Pink Wallet has a Superman Logo on it. But i still think that The Man Who Can Do Anything is not a very dramatic concept. I think that having to introduce kryponite in order to give superman a fault, it a lame plot device.

by the way, i wasnt making fun, my wallet is actually pink and does have a superman logo on it.

Benjamin said...

Good points well made, Grundy. I like your style, dude.